I've always been a bit of a nerd for categorizing stuff. When I was a little kid, instead of playing with my Barbies and making up crazy storylines with Ken and Stacy, I would sit down and organize all my outfits. I could do this for hours. I loved laying out every miniature skirt and shoe and sorting them by color, length, or whatever I fancied that day.
Not much has changed, except I like organizing on a bigger scale. I spent last weekend making an Excel spreadsheet of every single item of clothing that appeared on my Winter Pinterest board so that I could analyze the trends.
I'm planning on turning the results into an unusually well-researched capsule wardrobe next season, but for now, I wanted to show you one of the formulas that popped up time and again:
BOOTIES + SKINNY JEANS + FITTED COAT
This is the formula I've been following almost religiously all winter long. It's fast, it's polished, and you never have to worry about what you're going to wear to the next birthday party/girls' night/office lunch.
Just by switching out the top half, you could take this outfit into the weekend, out to brunch, on a date, or even to work...well, as long as your workplace is business casual!
All you really need to do to tailor it to the occasion is decide what type of item you're wearing. Heeled booties and dark jeans are great for going out, while lighter bottoms and lower heels are great for anything more casual. A fitted coat looks so so so cool no matter where you're going.
Here are some of my favorite looks with this formula:
Which looks are your favorite?
Edit: This post made Independent Fashion Bloggers' Links a la Mode! Check out the rest of the top posts from this week:
Links à la Mode, February 15th, 2018
- Aesthetic Distance: Why Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri Deserves To Win Best Picture At The Oscars
- Britt + Whit: Let Me Re-Introduce Myself + YSL Tote Giveaway
- Chicago Petite Blog: The Only Outfit Formula You Need for Winter
- Deyn's World: Your Guide to Nailing Your Valentine's Day Outfit
- Fashion to Live: Gasparilla Knight Parade 2018: Wrap Bodysuit + Jeans + Heels
- Gabriella Lundgren: My Favorite Color is Red
- Have Clothes, Will Travel: A Colorful Coat for a Dreary Day
- L Knits: Create Your Own Supportive Community
- L'ambassadrice: Is Fashion Week Still Relevant? Answering One of The Industry’s Most Daunting Questions
- Online Personal Stylist: DIY Placemat Bag Tutorial
- Petite Dressing: 5 Petite Style Rules and How to Break Them
- Sifa's Corner: Tutorial: Soft Pink Smokey Valentine's Makeup for 30S
- The Borrowed Babes: Fur Those Who Like a Little Something Extra
- The Glamour Pursuit: Valentine's Day Gift Guides
- We Blog for Love: The Power Of Love; Meet Nicolle and Tristain Kirk