Out of all the outfits on my spring and summer Pinterest boards, you know what item of clothing keeps popping up? Midi skirts! They're so classic and feminine that it's impossible not to love them.
The thing is, midi skirts can be a little bit of a challenge for us petite girls. Believe me, I've made some big mistakes, like the time I bought one that landed riiiight at the thickest part of my softball calves. This time around, I'm sharing a few of the best tips for making a midi skirt work for shorter ladies! (Spoiler: they're super easy to follow!)
MAKE SURE THE SKIRT HITS AT THE RIGHT PLACE
If there's anything you take away from this post, it's this tip. I've found that the best place for a midi skirt to fall is above or below mid-calf, because this is where the leg is the slimmest. If your skirt cuts into the thickest part of your calf, you risk your legs looking a little stumpy!
ACCENTUATE YOUR WAIST
I'm a HUGE fan of all things high-waisted because they create the illusion of legs for days. Choose a midi skirt that comes up to your belly button, and either tuck in your blouse or pair your skirt with a crop top. Another fun option? Knot your shirt at the waist!
WEAR THE RIGHT SHOES
If you're going bare-legged, wear a pair of shoes that matches your skin tone—and contrary to what you might think, ankle straps are perfectly okay here! In the colder months, make sure your shoes match your tights to make your legs go on and on. I've heard that you should avoid booties, but as long as they match your tights, you're in the clear!
SHOP MY PICKS
Edit: This post was featured on Independent Fashion Bloggers' Links a la Mode! Check out the other ones that were selected this week:
Links à la Mode, March 1st, 2018
- Adorned in Armor: The Best K-Beauty Products You Need for Amazing Skin
- Aesthetic Distance: My Final Oscar 2018 Predictions And Some Random Thoughts About The Nominees
- Chicago Petite Blog: 3 Rules for Wearing Midi Skirts for Petites
- Couture Crush: The Beret Dilemma
- Everyday Starlet: Sparkle App Makeup Tutorial | Add Glitter to a Matte Makeup Look
- Fashion to Live: Weekend Fun: Crew Neck Sweater + Pleated Midi Skirt + Heels
- Grazielle Camilleri: Day 1 at Milan Fashion Week 2018
- Girl in Betsey: The Best Travel Beauty Products from Murale
- I'm a Norbyah: Is Getting Dressed an Artistic Expression?
- Knowing My Style: Pink Blush – Where Flower Blooms
- L'ambassadrice: Lingerie Lessons We’ve Learned from Belle de Jour
- Love Bella Vida: Nenas Estate at Gillman Barracks
- Online Personal Stylist: An Interview with the GREEN FASHION WEEK Team
- Purushu Arie: Finding Gucci Turbans & Hijabs Offensive?
- Tales of Two Blog: Visiting Dachau Concentration Camp in Munich
- The Hare & Style Blog: The Allis at Soho House Chicago
- What Vru Wore: S for Spring, S for Scarf